Setting is an environment or surrounding in which an event or story takes place. It may provide particular information about placement and timing.
Social conditions, historical time, geographical locations, weather, immediate surroundings, and timing are all different aspects of setting.
Three major components:
- social environment
It has two main types:
Backdrop Setting – Backdrop setting emerges when it is not important for a story, and it could happen in any setting.
Integral Setting – It is when the place and time influences theme, character and action of a story. In this type, setting controls the characters and by controlling setting, writers could control their characters. If they confine a certain character to a particular setting, it will define the character.
Plot is known as the foundation of a novel or story which the characters and settings are built around. It is meant to organize information and events in a logical manner.
When writing the plot of a piece of literature, the author has to be careful that it does not dominate the other parts of the story.
There are five(5) main elements in a plot.
- The Exposition or The Introduction:
- The beginning of the story where characters and setting are established.
- In some stories, the conflict or the main problem is introduced as well.
- The Rising Action:
- Occurs when a series of events build up to the conflict.
- The main characters are established by the time the rising action of a plot occurs and at the same time, events begin to get complicated.
- It is during this part of a story that excitement, tension or crisis is encountered.
- The Climax:
- The turning point of the story and is meant to be the moment of highest interest and emotion. This would make readers to wonder what is going to happen next.
- The Falling Action:
- Events and complications begin to resolve and the result of actions of the main characters are put forward.
- The Resolution or The Conclusion:
- It is the end of a story and ends with either a happy or a tragic ending.
- Sometimes the ending is describe in epilogue.
Examples of Plot: